Jul 16, 2007

Karylle and her audition on Marimar: No regrets

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Karylle makes no bones about auditioning, and not getting, the lead role on the GMA 7 telenovela "Marimar."

"It's no big deal," she told Inquirer Entertainment. "People in the US audition all the time. It's just that the system is not practiced here."

She herself had to try out for her first stage role, the Trumpets production of "The Little Mermaid" seven years ago.

Karylle's boyfriend, Dingdong Dantes, landed the role of Sergio, the partner of Marimar. The title role eventually went to Marian Rivera.

Karylle volunteered that Dingdong would sport a new look as Sergio.

She explained: "I thought that his balbas-sarado (full beard) look was for 'Marimar.' Since he has soft features, having whiskers roughened him up a bit. I actually prefer his bearded look. But other people don't like it. They find it scary."

She expressed confidence that Dingdong and Marian would make a good tandem.

No, she insisted, there was no need to start rumors of jealousy.

"I am just as supportive of his career as he is of mine. Although it's great for a couple to work in the same project together, it's also good to get to try new things."

And one of those new things for Karylle is the Cinemalaya movie "Ligaw Liham," directed by Emilio "Jay" Abello VI.

For this indie project, Karylle didn't have to audition as she was handpicked by the director.

To think that she almost passed on the project because of scheduling problems.

"I was required to spend a week in Bacolod and it fell on my birthday," she recalled. "I had to ask permission from [the GMA 7 variety show] 'SOP.' Fortunately, we ironed out the kinks."

"She was my choice," Jay related. "I wanted someone who exudes a mature kind of beauty."

In the movie, Karylle plays Karen, a young wife and mother separated from her husband who's working abroad.

"I had to spend my birthday (on March 22) in Bacolod and Dingdong didn't get to visit me," she looked back. "I felt lonely, but I used it to get more into the character."

Karylle said that she had picked up a lot of pointers from the film's cast and crew, mostly theater people who trained under acclaimed filmmaker Peque Gallaga.

"I admire their sense of community and fellowship," she noted. "There's no crab mentality. They don't hesitate to share their knowledge with others. Even though I'm an outsider, I felt so welcome."

She also fell in love with the place - Silay City and the sugar central of La Carlota.

So much so that she was inspired to co-write, with Joey Benin of Side A, a song entitled “Minamahal Kita,” which will be played in the the movie's end credits.

That song is also one of the tracks in her upcoming album. "I wrote the songs in my new album in the different places I had visited: Bacolod, Baguio, Tagaytay, Laguna, even Australia."

While she awaits the album's completion, Karylle is busying herself with "Ligaw Liham."

"Instead of receiving a talent fee, we opted to become co-owners of the film," she recounted.

Mom Zsazsa Padilla is very excited about her new venture, Karylle said.

"She can't wait to see it when it premieres at the CCP (Cultural Center of the Philippines) Little Theater on July 21 This is a homecoming for me and my mom. My first public performance, a ballet recital, was also held at the CCP."
Source

No comments: