Jul 1, 2007

Julius And Tintin Speak Up


Maria, Julius and Tintin reveal the truth behind the rumors
By Rito Asilo

MANILA, Philippine -- There was a lot of laughter, work-related anecdotes, and some unexpected revelations when we met Julius Babao, Tintin Bersola-Babao and Maria Ressa, who now heads ABC-CBN’s News and Current Affairs division, in a joint interview at the network’s sprawling compound. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, despite the sensitive nature of the subject matter that we were about to discuss.

Maria was kind enough to suggest the joint Q&A with the popular and well-loved celebrity couple, who recently found themselves the center of gossip and speculation following an announcement that they were not going to be part of “Umagang Kay Ganda,” Channel 2’s replacement to the now defunct morning show, “Magandang Umaga, Pilipinas.”

Articulate

We knew that Maria, the former CNN journalist, was going to be intelligent and articulate, but we didn’t expect her to be disarmingly charming, as well. In a round-table discussion, we told the trio that we wanted to clarify the rumors that had been circulating.

Ressa began, “This is the first time that we’re talking about this, and I’m glad that we’re doing this together.” We appreciated the noted journalist’s transparency and fairness. She answered our questions, even the ultrasensitive ones, as long as they didn’t reveal internal matters that would potentially affect the network’s operations.

On the other hand, Tintin, while bound by the network’s confidentiality clause, wanted to correct the mistaken perception that she was fired because of her numerous commercial endorsements. Here are excerpts of our interview:

Can we talk about Julius and Tintin?

M: Sure.

Julius and Tintin: We’re right here.

So, were they suspended?

M: I’ll go as far as saying there were immediate issues we had to address. I hope you also understand that part of the reason I make a distinction between what is private -- what is internal to the company, and what is public -- is because any company should have its standards of ethics. You need to implement them. For example, when a person is late, and you punish him for his tardiness, it doesn’t mean that the person isn’t good at doing his job, or that he did something wrong.

If I was reporting for CNN, and I cut my hair without telling my manager, that’s considered an offense. But, that depends on the rules of the journalist’s company, because my contract with CNN stated that I couldn’t change my appearance without approval from my manager. We had issues that had to deal with our standards of ethics manual, so as a consequence of that, you didn’t see Julius and Tintin at the end of “MUP.” That’s the most that I can say.

Is part of your code of ethics confirming or negating something that’s been done?

M: You know what? It has something to do with our public work. For example, if Julius does a story, and it has an impact on the public, everything we do will be transparent. For example, when PGMA (President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) accused Julius of harboring a terrorist, Julius took a voluntary leave. We spent two weeks investigating, and as soon as we came out with the investigation, nilatag namin lahat. We published it in the papers, because he is our “TV Patrol” anchor, and the public has a right to know what happened. But, if it is something that is private to them…

Private

You mean, if it’s private to the company…?

M: …Or to them… What you do as a journalist or a news anchor is something we need to be open about and accountable to the public. If its something about Antonia (the couple’s daughter), it depends if people want to talk about it or not. Some people are comfortable being open, others want to be more private.

Are you in the process of reshuffling your programming slate? What are your plans for Julius and Tintin?

M: Big plans! I can tell you we’re working on a show with Tintin. Julius is our “TV Patrol” anchor, which means he’s a mainstay -- he’s our primetime male anchor. And they both have a radio show.

J: On dzMM.

M: We’re keeping Julius very busy. I’ll tell you that there are changes in the works. I’ve talked to Tintin about working on something together.

Tintin and Julius are very popular -- and people talk. It’s not about Tintin’s commercial endorsements, is it? I heard that some people are exempted from that prohibition.

T: I’m exempted.

(We were given a copy of the Code of Ethics. When we checked out Sec. 10, Art.3, it states that “the prohibition on on-air and/or on-camera talents or employees does not apply to talents and employees who don’t deliver “hard news.” It does not apply to those who exclusively deliver soft or light news, like trivia, entertainment or “star” news.)

So, Julius can’t endorse…?

M: There are only a few who can, and part of the reason is because you don’t want to have a commercial or a company dictate the editorial content.

How do you feel about the change?

J: I expected that I would be taken out of “MUP” months before. Maria talked to me about it because they had plans for me as a journalist. They wanted me to focus on serious issues. Veer away from light stuff.

Most signature anchors, even in the States, don’t do both. If you’re newscasting in the evening, you can’t do a morning show. Buti nga sa atin, may ganun. I see it as a career move. And I still have my current affairs show (“XXX”).

Can you see yourselves working separately?

J: Yes, why not?

T: We’ve done it in the past. I did a show (“Etcetera”) with Boy Abunda without Julius.

Actually, kulang ang question ko: Do you see yourselves working separately in different stations?(Laughter)

T: Maria and I spoke about this already, and she knows what I’m going to say. The universe now is vast, and it’s wide open. If there are options, I’m going to think of my options. And if it will take me to a different direction, and if it makes me a better person, yes.

But are Tintin and Julius exclusive to ABS-CBN?

M: In the past, they were. But, in this instance, I don’t want Tintin leaving us. Let me put it this way: She has valuable experience. The network would really want to keep her. I will do all I can to keep her. I have an offer that’s with her now. If she gets another offer, there’s nothing that would keep her from taking that offer. Except for me to come back with a better counteroffer.

“TV Patrol” started airing in March 1987. You took over from Angelique Lazo.

T: Naaalala mo pa? That was in 1993, yes. I am homegrown. It’s been 14 years.

Kaya ko tinanong kasi you don’t have a TV show now. But, if you have a better option outside, it will be harder for you to let go…

T: Given my nature, I am sentimental, and I get very attached to things. It will be difficult for me, but sometimes you’ve got to take risks.

M: I’ll add to the history. The public has seen these two grow up… from being young rebels who took over, and then, they established themselves in it. Now, they’re in this wonderful period that can be scary. It can also be very exciting -- which is what the next step is about.

We’re all trying to find the right thing to do. In Julius’ case, it’s clear that he’s grown up. (Laughs) I don’t have all the answers right now. So, it’s difficult. I don’t want to hold anyone back. And I don’t think Tintin would want that either.

Transition

So, you see this as a mere transition?

M: I love things like this, and I know that it can be really scary. When I left CNN, who knew what I was walking into? I was with CNN for 15 years. I took a huge step. I feel like this is what I’ve spent my entire career getting ready to do. I wanted something more.

Are you getting that “more” here?

M: Oh my God, more than I bargained for!

T: I’ll take it from Maria -- ang ganda kasi ng sinabi nya. I have to admit that I’m scared, because I don’t know what’s waiting for me out there. But, I just have to trust in what I have accomplished for the past 14 years. I still have my credibility…

M: Yes, you just have to trust. The program that we’re offering capitalizes on her strengths. Its something she knows. I’ve seen the best of what she does. And this program taps that -- but it allows more room to grow. I also want to know what Tintin will do next. The way Tintin grows will help shape the News and Current Affairs division.


Source

No comments: