Aug 4, 2007

Has Pokwang become ‘amnesiac’?

“Wait a minute...Has Pokwang become amnesiac?”
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
That’s what Rozanno Martin was asking during an overseas call to Funfare from Spain, arranged by movie-writer/talent-scout Vir Mateo, Rozanno’s friend who wanted to clear the little “issue” linking Rozanno to Pokwang.

You see, in recent write-ups,

Pokwang denied that she met and/or had a “fling” with an OFW during the taping of the just-concluded ABS-CBN comedy series Crazy For You (with Toni Gonzaga and Luis Manzano) in Barcelona early this year, as if involvement with an OFW is, you know, below her “stature.”

The name Rozanno Martin doesn’t ring a bell, does it?

I haven’t heard of the name myself but Vir very kindly informed me — and, hopefully, Pokwang — who Rozanno Martin is.

“He’s a singer based in Spain,” said Vir. “At the same time, he works as the Food & Beverage manager of the La Mal Contenta, a five-star hotel at a resort in Costa Brava located not too far from Barcelona. In Spain, Rozanno is not called an OFW, not that there’s something wrong with it; there, he’s known as a ‘European commissary.’ “

For sure, the guy is familiar to Imelda Papin and a few other Filipino singers because, according to Vir, Rozanno has guested in concerts topbilling Filipino artists. His real name is Tyrone Edwin Oneza but he uses Tyrone Rivera as screen name. He appeared in the films Sumayaw Ka, Salome and Leroy, Leroy, Sinta by Seiko Films which also hired him to lipsynch for some actors during the TV promo.

“He was 18 when he joined his two brothers and a sister in Europe. In the beginning, Rozanno moved from one place to another, from Italy to Monaco. Then, he went to Switzerland where he worked for seven years as care-giver to Hollywood sex symbol Jane Randolph (who was in a movie called The Curse of the Cat People, The Curse of the Demon, etc.) who is now 93 years old.

“Rozanno took good care of Randolph and because of that, pinamanahan siya ng malaking halaga. He bought a house in Spain and saved the rest of the money. Before he settled in Costa Brava two years ago, Rozanno spent less than a year in France. But up to now, everytime he has the time, he pays Randolph a visit. Mabait kasi sa kanya ‘yung matanda, eh.”

After that long introduction, Vir texted Rozanno who called after a while.

Here’s Rozanno’s recollection of his chance encounter with Pokwang:

“I met her at the airport in The Netherlands during a stopover on my way to Barcelona. I didn’t have any idea who she was. She said her name was Mariel. Then, other Filipinos started asking for her autograph and posing for pictures with her. I asked her, ‘Artista ka ba?’ She smiled and said, ‘Bakit, wala ba akong karapatan maging artista?’ I said, ‘Puede. Maganda ka naman, a!’

“Then, she introduced me to her companions (Pokwang was traveling with Toni and Luis. — RFL). The other girl (Toni) asked me where I came from and when I said, ‘I’m from Isla de Talim in Binangonan, Rizal,’ she said, ‘Same province pala tayo.’ I decided to stay for two days in Barcelona to be with Mariel na later ay nakilala ko na si Pokwang pala siya.

“Before I proceeded to Costa Brava, she gave me her calling card and asked me to go back (to Barcelona). First thing I did when I arrived in Costa Brava was to apply for a TFC (The Filipino Channel) connection so I could watch her shows at home. During the two days that I was with her, mabait naman siya, so I was surprised when I heard that she said she didn’t know me, even when the reporters daw showed her my picture.

“So I’m asking, ‘Has Pokwang become amnesiac?’”

Anyway, Rozanno said that the last time he was home was in 2003 when his mother died. Next month, he might come back to produce an album and a digital movie called Bukas Babalik ang Mga Bangkay to be directed by Celso Ad. Castillo.

By then, maybe Pokwang shall have recovered from “amnesia” and can tell everybody the true story.
FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo
Philippine Star

No comments: